What is Nausea?
Nausea is the unpleasant sensation that precedes vomiting. Nausea frequently is relieved by vomiting and may be accompanied by increased parasympathetic nervous system activity including diaphoresis, salivation, bradycardia, pallor, and decreased respiratory rate.
Two very common causes of nausea are food poisoning and motion sickness. However, nausea is not a disease itself but rather is a sign of some underlying condition such as-
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Peptic ulcer disease
- Problems with nerves or muscles in the stomach that cause slow stomach emptying or digestion (gastroparesis)
- Disorders of the brain segments that control the digestive processes (autonomic dysfunction)
- An abnormal change in heart rate on the change of posture (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome)
- Cancer or any infection
Sign and symptoms
- Feeling of vomiting
- Lack of appetite
- Profuse sweating
- Repeated rhythmic contractions of respiratory and abdominal muscles that happen without your control (retching)
- Stomach ache
- Uneasy feeling in your chest and upper abdomen
Diagnosis and evaluation
There is no specific laboratory test to determine the exact cause of nausea. The diagnosis technique must be directed by the physical examination and medical history of the patient. Pregnancy must be ruled out. The physician may begin with basic laboratory tests and then proceed to imaging investigation for the exact diagnosis.
Some measures to be followed to control nausea are-
- Drink clear or ice-cold drinks.
- Eat light, bland foods (such as saltine crackers or plain bread).
- Avoid fried, greasy, or sweet foods.
- Eat slowly and eat smaller, more frequent meals.
- Drink beverages slowly.
- Avoid activity after eating.
- Avoid brushing your teeth after eating.
Warning: Above information provided is an overview of the disease, we strongly recommend a doctor's consultation to prevent further advancement of disease and/or development of complications.
Disclaimer: The information provided herein on request, is not to be taken as a replacement for medical advice or diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. DO NOT SELF MEDICATE. PLEASE CONSULT YOUR PHYSICIAN FOR PROPER DIAGNOSIS AND PRESCRIPTION.
Get 20% Off
Buy Aloevera Calendula cream 500g OR Arnica shampoo 1000 ml & Get 1 Foot Cream 100g free
Buy 2 Nail & Hair Aid Tablets & Get 1 Arnica shampoo 150ml free
Get extra 2% OFF on payments through Billdesk
Get Extra 2% OFF on payments through worldline
Get extra 2% OFF on payments through RAZORPAY