What is Knee Pain?
Knee pain is a common complaint among adults which is commonly associated with general wear and tear from daily activities like walking, bending, standing and lifting. Athletes who run or play sports that involve jumping or quick pivoting are also more likely to experience knee pain. The causes of knee pain may be multiple and it can affect the quality of life significantly.
Causes of knee pain
The common causes of knee pain are-
- Sprained or strained knee ligaments and/or muscles. A sprained or strained knee ligament or muscle is usually caused by a blow to the knee or a sudden twist.
- Torn cartilage. Trauma to the knee may cause a tear in the menisci. Cartilage tears can often occur with sprains.
- Tendonitis. Inflammation of the tendons may result from overuse of a tendon during certain activities such as running, jumping, or cycling.
- Arthritis. Osteoarthritis is the most common type of arthritis that affects the knee. It is a degenerative process where the cartilage in the joint gradually wears away. Rheumatoid arthritis can also affect the knees by causing the inflammation of the joints and the destruction of the knee cartilage.
Complete medical history and physical examination is undertaken by the specialist. Post these examinations, certain investigations are recommended on the basis of the cause of the knee pain. X rays are advised to visualise internal tissues and bones. MRI is recommended for the ligament injury. CT scans are generally preferred over X rays.
Knee care is recommended to halt the process of inflammation. The regimen is easy to follow and may be summarised as PRICE.
- P - Protect the Knee (by knee padding or splinting)
- R - Rest the Knee
- I - Ice the Knee (2-3 times a day for 20-30 minutes each time)
- C - Compress the knee (with a knee brace or wrap)
- E - Elevate the knee (helps to reduce the swelling)
Warning: Above information provided is an overview of the disease, we strongly recommend a doctor's consultation to prevent further advancement of disease and/or development of complications.
Disclaimer: The information provided herein on request, is not to be taken as a replacement for medical advice or diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. DO NOT SELF MEDICATE. PLEASE CONSULT YOUR PHYSICIAN FOR PROPER DIAGNOSIS AND PRESCRIPTION.
Get 20% Off
Buy Aloevera Calendula cream 500g OR Arnica shampoo 1000 ml & Get 1 Foot Cream 100g free
Buy 2 Nail & Hair Aid Tablets & Get 1 Arnica shampoo 150ml free
Get extra 2% OFF on payments through Billdesk
Get Extra 2% OFF on payments through worldline
Get extra 2% OFF on payments through RAZORPAY